Let’s get a Headstart – The Building Process
When it comes to purchasing a new home many deliberate on whether to buy an existing home or build a brand new one. Finding an existing home that suits your needs can be tricky, however Headstart Homes are dedicated to helping you find the perfect new home uniquely tailored to fit your needs and budget.
For first home buyers embarking on the building journey, having a clear understanding of the process from the outset will make the experience far more enjoyable. Here’s a brief guide summarising the steps involved.
First things first – Budget
How much do you want to invest in a new home? This is a critical first step. Find out what you are able to borrow based on your ability to service a mortgage. Start with talking to an independent mortgage broker as they can find you the best deal and take the stress out of dealing directly with the bank. If you would like, we can recommend a broker or ask them to get in touch with you. Obtaining good advice from the beginning is often the key, so once this aspect is understood and you are happy with the total intended spend, you can then have a much better conversation regarding the build. We’ve put together a selection of Headstart Homes specifically designed to help you get into your first home utilising the Homestart Grant scheme. Click here to find out more.
Secondly, do you have a section?
As a general rule, consult with your new home sales consultant before buying a section. It’s vitally important that the section is big enough to fit your new home and the home is positioned correctly on the site to soak up the sun and protect you from prevailing winds.
Actual Build Process – let’s get started!
- Initial Consultation – where we listen carefully to your needs and objectives. We then offer ideas and options in conjunction with your budget comfort zone and tailor the project to match your expectations.
- Concept Plans – we’ll capture your ideas on paper and identify if there is a Headstart plan that matches your objectives and make the necessary modifications to suit your specific needs. We then set to work and draw up a concept plan that maximises your site opportunities and your budget. We will also put together an indicative price breakdown based on our discussions. We will then ask you for a deposit to proceed which enables us to engage in more detailed work, however on the basis you build with us, we will credit this fee back off your new home.
- Specifications – our Headstart Home designs include features that rate highly on new buyers ‘must have’ lists providing an amazing, affordable home you’ll be proud of. In addition to the standard inclusions we also need to include all the fine details and “upgrade” selections specific to your requirements. Via the latest user-friendly software ‘Co-Construct’ we’ll work with you to refine selections and options for your new home.
- Quote & Contract – once the concept plans and specifications are in place, we provide you with an accurate quotation to complete the project and invite you to enter into a Master Build Contract to proceed.
You’ll need to ensure:
- Ensure you have finance in place
- Ensure all parties to the contract are fully aware of their obligations
- Sign a Build Contract with us and pay your deposit.
- Working Drawings & Consent – the concept plans are made into detailed working drawings. Once finished we’ll go through these with you and then lodge your consent. We will also introduce you to our Interior Designer to select your interior and exterior colour scheme, kitchen designer to finalise your kitchen plans and quote. Once consent has been granted we will arrange for you to meet the whole team and go through your plans and specifications again in detail to make sure we are all on the same page and to answer any of your questions.
- Construction – the exciting phase when you see your plans turning from paper to reality! We keep you informed every step the way via the Co-Construct portal and regular on-site meetings.
- Handover – the week before hand over we’ll invite you to a comprehensive walk through to address any details requiring attention, arrange Code of Compliance from the local authority and prepare a comprehensive Warranty & Guarantee folder for all aspects of your home.
You will need to:
- Arrange insurance of your new home
- Arrange final payment before hand over
Before you know it, your new dream home is complete and ready for you to move in.
- Ongoing Support – we’ll keep in contact to ensure any issues that may arise are addressed. We provide a comprehensive 10-year Master builders warranty and 2-year defects period.
Customer satisfaction is our goal. We want you to enjoy building your new home and together we will ensure this happens. Click here to view our range of Headstart Home Series, including house and land packages.
Why not come and have a look at our stunning new showhome at 9 Lemonwood Drive, Faringdon, Rolleston to see what we can do for you. Open Thu to Sun 12 to 4pm or by appointment.